Search My Kronicles

About Me

Followers

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sarah's Key

I truly enjoy reading, and one of my favorite genre's is historical fiction.  I also love books about the holocaust.  I realize this is kind of strange since it's one of the darkest times in the world's history, but I find it fascinating.  It's one of those historical events that is so mind boggling, that I feel like I need to know more.


I mentioned this to a friend and she recommended Sarah's Key.  My other friends and I decided to make it our book club book and we all loved it.  It was one of those books that immediately catches your attention; I couldn't put it down.  

It centers around the holocaust in Paris, and tells 2 different stories.  Little did I know that Paris took part in the round-up and deportation of thousands of Jewish families, who were then sent to Auschwitz.  This story brings to light the French involvement, as well as the fact that the French has kept this hidden.  Although the book is fictional, it depicts true events.  

One story that is told is from Sarah's point of view, and journey to try and save him after she locks him in the cupboard to try and protect him.   She and her parents are arrested, she tries to make her way back to him.  The other story is told from Julia's point of view, who is writing an article about these events on the 60th anniversary of the round-ups.  


If this is a genre and topic that you're interested in, another good novel that takes place during the holocaust is Stones from the River.  

I'm reading another book that takes place during the holocaust, The Zookeeper's Wife and it's a true story.  It's a New York Times Bestseller, and the story is a rather positive one considering the circumstances, but doesn't have enough drama for me.  Hence my preference for historical fiction.  

0 comments: