Search My Kronicles

About Me

Followers

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Think Before You Speak



I recently saw a PSA with the NBA's Grant Hill and Jared Dudley raising awareness about the phrase "That's so gay." The PSA is part of Think B4 You Speak, a campaign that tries to get across the message that words have consequences.  Other celebrities lending their support are Hilary Duff and Wanda Sykes.  

About 3 years ago, I was with my friend and I used the phrase "That's so gay" to describe something that was dumb, when he looked at me and said "Excuse me?" This particular friend is gay, and I have never felt so terrible or embarrassed for being so insensitive. I obviously meant nothing by it, but it had become a habit. I can honestly say, since that moment, I have never used that phrase again. For gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual people, those 3 words are insulting and degrading.

I think Think B4 You Speak is a fantastic campaign because it raises awareness about the effects our words have on people. Like the website states:
"A lot of anti-LGBT language is said carelessly, and isn’t intended as negative or hurtful. Understand what you’re saying, and think about the potential consequences of the words you choose."

0 comments: