Search My Kronicles

About Me

Followers

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Glutton for BBQ

A few months ago, I experimented with being a vegetarian, although I guess technically I was a pescatarian since I still ate fish. During this experiment, my friend invited me to her house for what she called "a carnivore fest," but wouldn't be offended if I didn't come. I knew it would be tempting since she had flown in "Jack Stack," all the way from Kansas, but I thought I could resist temptation. After about 45 minutes of taking in the sights, smells, and even sounds coming from my friends, I gave in and had meat. In that moment, I realized that I didn't have a "real" reason for being vegetarian, rather it was just something I wanted to do. Well let's just say since that night, I am no longer a pescatarian. Which brings me to "Frisco BBQ Challenge," the largest of its kind in Colorado.

Frisco BBQ challenge kicked off last Thursday night, and then ended Saturday night. I knew I would be partaking in the festivities for 2 reasons. One, I live literally a block from where it is held every year, and two, my company is the beer sponsor.

Thursday night kicked off with a concert by "Hot Buttered Rum," but I didn't really listen. I was more interested in passing about my $1 beer coupons, and getting people to my event at Jonny G's. One of the aspects of my job is hosting promotions/parties, even if they don't start until 10:00 p.m. Thanks to my amazing friends, the event was a success, even if I felt awful the next day.

Friday was when all the vendors and competitors started selling their food. Unfortunately, the weather was miserable and my coworkers and I got caught in 2 rain storms, soaking us to the bone. However, insane amounts of food were eaten by all. I tried some bbq, some corn on the cob, funnel cake, and chocolate covered bacon (which wasn't as bad as it sounds). That night, against my better judgment, I went out with 2 coworkers, which was fun and a good "bonding" experience.

Our luck changed, and on Saturday, the weather was much improved. It was fairly windy at times, but the sun was shining and beer was had by the masses! My dear friend Katie joined me at the bbq, where I indulged in more bbq, and the item I had had my eyes on ALL weekend-a "Berry Kabob," which was strawberries and bananas drizzled in chocolate. To die for!

At the end of the festivities, I was a little worse for wear, but had a great time nonetheless. Definitely something everyone should check out if you're ever in Colorado during mid-June!


0 comments: