Search My Kronicles

About Me

Followers

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Saying No

I have finally started admitting to myself that I have a difficult time saying no to people. I've always been like this, but it has finally gotten to a point that it bothers me because I want to be a strong woman that can stand up to people and hold my ground. Unfortunately, I've always been someone that cares way too much about what other people think of me, and it's crippling. I'm always wondering, "Is so-and-so going to be upset," "Are people going to think I'm not helpful," etc.

There are a few reasons I have a hard time saying no: I want to help people, I don't want to be rude, I want to be agreeable, HUGE fear of conflict, I don't want to offend anyone, and I don't want to burn bridges. However, enough is enough. Now that I'm in the "business world," it is time for me to assert myself and present myself as the strong, independent woman that I am.

Now the tricky part. How to say no. Being agreeable is not only a character trait, but also a habit, so I imagine this will be a tough process. I think for me, the best way to change my habits is to start small. For instance, the other day I wen to Bath and Body Works to get kitchen soap. They were out of the kind I usually get, but the girl was like, "This scent is great. Do you like it?" And it was good, but not my favorite. However, not wanting to say not or hurt her feelings, I bought it. Good thing the scent is decent otherwise I'd be in trouble! But the point is, instances like those are great opportunities for me to start saying NO!

If I have any breakthroughs, I'll be sure to let you know!

0 comments: