Search My Kronicles

About Me

Followers

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

buddha brain: take in the good

WEEK 1 Recap:

During week one of my "Buddha Brain" challenge, I tried to "be for myself" but it didn't always work out.  There were many instances where I did what I wanted to do, and said no when I didn't want to do something.  However, it's difficult sometimes to get out of certain situations.  

For instance, on Saturday night, (after working a busy night) I met up with some friends.  I was exhausted and just not in the mood to deal with the madness that was downtown Denver.  However, I had said I would go.  I wanted to leave before the bars closed because I knew things would get crazy (and boy did they) but I didn't feel comfortable walking 8 blocks to my car on Halloween weekend so I ended up staying out much longer than I would have liked.  In retrospect, I should have called a cab to take me to my car, but hindsight is 20/20.  And since I didn't get out of the city early enough, I witnessed a very disturbing incident that left me very upset.  

Long story short, a fight broke out near LoDo's downtown.  I saw it going on, so I ran down the street to get out of the way.  Unfortunately, I didn't go far enough and ended up getting pushed by one of the guys.  He then proceeded to sucker-punch an innocent guy who was just sitting in his car with the window down.  He knocked him square in the face and I definitely heard bones cracking, before getting the heck out of there.  Needless to say, I should have "been for myself" and then I could have avoided the situation, but you live and learn, which leads me to week 2.

WEEK 2 Challenge: Take in the Good.

Essentially this just means rather than reflect and dwell on every negative event like we so often do, be mindful of the good ones.  Our brains react more to a negative stimulus that an equally intense positive one so we much change the way our brain reacts to positive stimuli.  By taking in the good, and visualizing it sinking into you you can change the makeup of your brain and how you react to positive experiences. Like Rick Hanson writes, " It's like sitting down to a meal- don't just look at it, taste it.

Also, be aware of any reluctance you have to a positive event such as thinking you don't deserve it, or feeling guilty for feeling happiness.  Let yourself experience positive events and feel good about them.

Over the weekend I was so concerned about being out too late, and how crazy downtown was that I didn't take time to enjoy the good parts like all the great costumes and being with friends.  

0 comments: