Search My Kronicles

About Me

Followers

Monday, October 24, 2011

buddha brain: be for yourself

So it's week one of my 52-week mission to developing a "buddha brain" using the book "Just One Thing" by Rick Hanson.  There are 52 simple practices, so each week I hope to focus on one and recap it before starting the next practice.  It's broken down into 5 parts and the first part is "Be Good to Yourself" and the first practice is BE FOR YOURSELF.

The basic premise of this is to look out for yourself, and wish yourself well.  It can be very easy for us to put ourself and our happiness on the back burner in order to please those around us, but how can we help others if we can't first help ourselves?

The best way to "be for yourself" is to ask yourself, am I on my own side?  Am I looking out for my best interests?  A few months ago I wrote a post about not being able to say no.  By learning how to say no, I am looking out for my best interests.  Another way to be for yourself is knowing you should be doing something for your own benefit, but not doing it like finding a new job or kicking a bad relationship to the curb.

This week I am going to be aware of my happiness and my feelings, and do what I can to look out for myself.  I'm going to assert myself if need be, and say no if I don't feel like doing something.  This may sound selfish, but it's not.  Like I said, in order to help others, you have to be able to help yourself.

0 comments: